Monday, February 1, 2010

Two great stories, One common problem.

I remember when I was a child being scared of the dark. I was definitely one of those kids that would call mom over and over. So, of course I saw a little bit of me in these two stories about being afraid at night and not being able to fall asleep right away.

There's No Such Thing As Monsters!There's No Such a Thing as MONSTERS! by Steve Smallman. I am very sure many of your students will relate to this book the way I did when I read it. This is the story about Little Bear who is so excited to finally have his very own room as all big bears do. But the first night at a new room is so frightened (I hope you are nodding your head with me), every noise you hear seems to "be something". That's what is like for Little Bear who is missing his Big Brother on this first adventure night. But good and protective brothers as Big Brother is never but a couple of steps away. I am sure that you will also enjoy the tender illustrations in this book, the great sound words and the suspense feeling all throughout the book.
One More Hug For MadisonOne More Hug for Madison by Caroline Jayne Church. In this story, the main character is Madison, an adorable little mouse who is very good at following the routine before going to bed. She knows what to do before bedtime: put the toys away, wash her whiskers, brush her teeth and put on her pajamas. Mom is always ready to read Madison one story before she sleeps, but right after Mom finishes her book, Madison needs one more thing...

her little Molly Mouse to keep her company...
another blanket to keep her warm...
another glass of water...
another...
another...

and pretty soon, all these back and forth that Madison's mom has to do, end up exhausting her. And so goes the story of a little frightened mouse and the endless love of a mom who would do anything so her little one can have a good night sleep.

Can anyone relate to either character in this book?? Oh, I am sure some of you do. :)
Happy Reading!.





No comments: