Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Brother Charlie

My Brother Charlie As many of you already know, April is Autism Awareness Month. As an educator, I feel like my journey on understanding and learning about Autism has just started. I have long ways to go. But I want to learn how to teach and how help a child with autism learn and be successful. Today I read  My Brother is Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete. This story is very different since it is told from a twin sister's point of view. Callie and Charlie are twins and they adore each other. But each sibling has its own unique way of showing that love for each other. Charlie has autism so he shows his love in unconventional ways because his words get locked inside him, and sometimes he seems so far away.  But Charlie has so many other great wonderful qualities that Callie just loves and appreciates. This story is just beautiful because it is a celebration of hope, understanding and tolerance. Both authors (mother & daughter) joined their understandings and personal experiences on autism in order to create this story. Holly's son (which is Ryan's brother) has autism and their journey, of course, represented many challenges. However, through this book they transmit this sense of hope, charm and patience to all individuals who have a loved one with Autism. Like Ryan Elizabeth shared on a note at the end of the book,

People with autism are exceptionally smart, but their brains are wired differently. It can take them longer to process information. Please be patient. 

No comments: