Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Zoo I Drew



The Zoo I DrewI'm super excited about my latest purchase: The Zoo I Drew by Todd H. Doodler. Let me just first mentioned a couple of things that grabbed my attention toward this book when I first saw it. The cover of the book is made out of corrugated cardstock which I must say makes it very attractive. The simple yet colorful drawings on the front cover also caught my attention. And when you open the book, the fun begins. This is an ABC book in which the author and illustrator Todd H. Doodler chose the zoo animals as the animals for each letter of the alphabet. So it starts with the alphabet, the animal that starts with that letter, and a huge drawing. Each letter takes both pages when you open the book flat. Besides, the author included a small description of each zoo animals mentioned in the book. I love the HUGE illustrations, the facts mentioned under each animal, the colors he chose for each page, the big letters, and the glossy pages makes you want to read the book over and over. I am expecting this book to be a favorite of my Kindergarten and 1st grade students. What a terrific way to learn vocabulary and some animal facts before their annual trip to the zoo!

No comments: