This week I'll be talking to my students about the important place that reading has in my life. Looking through my iPhone pictures, I've discovered all this fascinating pictures that capture exactly what I wanted: how important it is for me to make time for reading in my life.
Here are the things I'll be sharing with my students:
1. I LOVE LOVE going to the Library. I probably go to the Library about 4 to 5 times a week. I know the staff at the New Albany Library by their first name. We love to talk about the books we read, and they love telling me, "Stella, your books are here."
2. Coming home with a high pile of books from the library makes me happy. I like taking pictures of those books. It gives me a sense of purpose and pride.
3. I read chapter books but I also adore picture books. They're fascinating to me. A well written story always steal my heart.
4. I have a Starbucks close to my apartment and you will find me there on chilly afternoons for sure. I'll be the one with the magazines in hand, a tall coffee and some butter cookies.
5. I love staying in touch with what's going on with the city that I live in. 614 Magazine is a must read for me. Every month, I go to a local coffee shop and pick up my copy.
6. I pay attention to "The books of the month" section that even fashion magazines have!
7. I make a point to go and listen to as many authors as I can. I learn so much about them, about their thinking and their process as readers and writers.
8. My friends know reading is important to me. I get a lot of books as gifts like the Oprah book on Happiness! Thank you MZ.
9. I love reading in PJs and on my blue couch. My favorite corner.
10. I listen to a lot of books on CD. As an English Language Learner myself, Audio Books help me with my pronunciation and intonation.
11. I love watching how bookstores display their books. I love noticing the set ups, display and decisions behind their book displays.
12. I love reading Restaurants reviews!!
I'm sure there are so many other things I can share with my students as I share with them about my personal reading life. But the point is for this conversation to be ONGOING. Reading changed my life. It made me a better person. Why would I want to keep this joy just for myself? Let's the reading journey begin! Here's to a new school year...let there be many other passionate readers who get to spread the word with me!