Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ode to Summer 2012

                          Ode to Summer 2012
                                     
                                           by Stella Villalba

This was the summer that I learned to live with patience,
with the unknown, with different roads in front of me,
some of them equating choices, and others alternate routes.
Learned to walk hand in hand with what I could only control.

This was the summer where two friends packed their bags,
overpacked snacks and hit the road to Indiana for a two-day
conference with some of the most inspired educators I know.
Came back with more knowledge and words than I originally packed.

This was the summer a group of friends strengthen their friendships
and left their laughs in the Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN.
Nature by our sides, breathtaking views, moments of silence.
Five friends, five countries, five cultures, ONE friendship.

This was the summer I spent a week in Findlay, OH
 at the most relaxed and fun conference I've ever attended.
Authors came from everywhere to gather at the Mazza Museum.
Their writing lives were poured out in those walls and excited
learners, teachers and writers listened to them in awe.

This was the summer a group of writers got together at Hocking Hills
for what would have become the highlight of my summer. Under the care
and guidance of two incredible editors, these writers bloomed, they cared,
they listened and guided each other on paths of possibilities.

We left our voices and words in those hills...
We left our fears and packed our courageous writing lives
and brought it back to Columbus to keep the work that we started there.
Only the beginning....the late night talks on the porch were only a start.

This was the summer I found myself having
late night chats in many patios around Columbus.
Those nights where you're not in a rush because you know that
these moments don't come in too often and you want to hold on
just a little bit longer...


This was the summer I sang as loud as I could in all
the concerts I went. Those nights were you know your voice is just one
among the many voices that think you can sing.
Who cares? It's just you and the singer anyways.

This was the summer I witnessed friends getting married
each one so unique, so close to the heart.
You watch your friends move away from a life they used to know
to a life full of new I do's.

This was the summer a group of friends decided to say farewell
to Summer 2012 by squeezing in one more road trip to Chicago.
The bonding hours in a car, laughing and singing, wishing and thinking.
One more time...an appropriate goodbye... till next year summer adventures.


This was the summer that I learned to live with patience,
with the unknown, with different roads in front of me,
some of them equating choices, and others alternate routes.
Learned to walk hand in hand with what I could only control.



No comments: