Sunday, December 8, 2013

Celebrations!!! and Welcome December!


Oh how I love joining Ruth Ayres' quest for slowing down and celebrating life...inside our classroom and outside of it as well.
So this week, I have several celebrations.

Celebration #1: A new series!

I was happily surprised to discover this new series of "Favorite Authors"at my local library. A Capstone Press publication now provides different authors' biographies that is written for children in mind. Love the accessible way that this book is written. The chapters are short but concise with great information. Words that are in bold print are explained and defined at the bottom of the page. The combination of photographs and illustrations is also another great layout of the book.  Each nonfiction book in the series is organized with a Table of Content, a timeline, glossary, a "read more"section, internet sites and Index. Biographies in this series include:
Barbara Park
Dav Pilkey
Grace Lin
Jeff Kinney
Mo Willems
Shel Silverstein.

What a wonderful resource to share with our students. It highlights the authors' journey, where they started and how they got to the place they stand. So important for our students to understand there is a life of trial and errors behind each author. So much to share and learn from each of them.





Celebration #2: Part of my #Nerdlution is to try something new each week. And to be honest with you...this is part of who I am...always in search of new things, new places and adventurous. Week #1 of #Nerdlution new thing includres trying a new restaurant in our awesome city of Columbus! Thanks to my adventurous food friends who wanted to join me in this quest. It helps to have great friends like Karen and Julie who are willing to take a chance with you. We were not disappointed. And now we all have something new to share with friends and family. Nerdlution made that happen...share your joys with others.


Celebration # 3
A snow day. On top of it...a Friday Snow Day. Seriously. What a gift. I couldn't have asked for anyting better! What did I do on this Snow Day? Sleep in, watch my favorite Holiday movie: Love Actually, Read, organize a couple of things around the house and more naps. I appreciate when life gives me a mandatory SLOW DOWN. Thank you snow...thank you winter...thank you season. Thank you.

2 comments:

Julie Johnson said...

I am always learning from you Stella. Sometimes it's books, sometimes it's great places to eat. :) I loved the time we spent together this morning and now I've got to go check out this series. Have a wonderful week!

Jen Vincent said...

I've heard other people had snow days last week! That's crazy to me! We got lots of snow today but not enough to hope for a snow day. You do strike me as someone who loves to do new things! I'm totally the same way, I'm always up for an adventure. Maybe you'll end up in Chicago on one of your adventures and we can find some fun!