Sunday, November 2, 2008

Loving it...

Here are some new titles I discovered this week. When I read a children's book, I can't help it but reading it with "different glasses". Sometimes, I put on my teacher's glasses and while I read, I look for mini-lessons, the author's craft, style, use of language, etc. Some other times, I just wear the fun glasses, and don't look too much into these things except for: so, is this a good story? will it make me laugh? feel silly? I guess it is the same concepts as when we teach our children the different purposes of reading: to be informed, to be entertained, to research.

So, when I read this book Nighty Night, Sleepy Sleeps by Brian Anderson I was thinking about this...

I love the pictures: vibrant, catchy, engaging.
Love the way the writer played with words, some slanted, some words in a semicircle, some of the them have huge fonts....they all make a point in the story.
Love the use of sounds CRACK! KABLAM! CLANG! BANG!
Books like this catches the readers' attention. You got them!


Nighty Night, Sleepy Sleeps

And for our  much younger audience (Preschool) Karen Katz' s book of number is simply adorable. Ten Tiny Babies is simple but well written. Karen Katz uses all these great adjectives in each page to describe the babies: bouncy, silly, noisy, jiggly. And you know the book has my "vote" when not only provides a good story but also teaches great vocabulary to our readers along the way.

Ten Tiny Babies




















1 comment:

Katie Dicesare said...

I just bought 10 Tiny Babies for Christmas for my niece. I loved it!