Saturday, January 23, 2010

Muhammad Ali The People's Champion

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours, my goals, my own; get used to me. "
Muhammad Ali: The People's Champion
Walter Dean Myers' newest book Muhammad Ali The People's Champion is an amazing biographical work. When you open this book, the first thing you will find is a poem that grabs your immediate attention. The strong way its written, the memorable words, and the strong ending makes this poem stands out all by itself. Walter Dean Myers' brilliant idea to start the book this way opens the way and the curiosity to learn more about Muhammad Ali.
In this book, Walter Dean Myers goes through Muhammad Ali's most important events in life, recounting his amazing fights and exploring the other issues and struggles he went through.
At the end of the book, you'll find a timeline with Muhammad most important life event starting from the day he was born in 1942, and ending in 2005 when he was awarded Presidential Medal of Freedom. The illustrations done by Alix Delinois complement Mr. Walter Dean Myers work beautifully.

No comments: