Monday, September 15, 2008

Let the Celebration Begins!


Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!

Today begins the one month celebration in the states to honor all Hispanic people and descendants living in the USA.  As a teacher my message to everyone out there working in education and working with children is that this is a wonderful opportunity to open the classroom doors to families that are either Hispanic or Hispanic descendants. What a great opportunity to learn from your students, and also from the families you are working with! As an individual, my message is that I am very proud to be Hispanic and I am also very honored to have the opportunity to live in the USA, and grow as a human being and as a professional. I hope my contribution as an educator leaves a mark in children's life, but I also know that living in the USA has left a wonderful mark in my life as well. 

This country has a lot to offer, but we also have a lot to offer to this country. During this month, I invite to dust off some books from your library shelf and check out the biography of famous Hispanic people who contributed somehow, somewhere to the USA.  Where to start? How about with Cesar Chavez? if  you don't know much about him, these are some great books to start with...

For teachers: to be used as resources.

CARSON DELLOSA HISPANIC-AMERICAN ACHIEVERS


Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez
This book is written by Gary Soto (a wonderful author!)

Cesar Chavez: A Hero for Everyone (Milestone Books)
And I really enjoy this book written about Cesar Chavez's life but through poems!


Cesar: Si, Se Puede! / Yes, We Can!

I have used these books before while my 5th grade students were reading Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan since it supports the story line of this novel very well. I hope you all enjoy this month's celebration as much as I will considering it to be a wonderful opportunity to learn a little bit more.



No comments: