Saturday, December 27, 2008

ABC Books

After reading a review by Franki  (A Year of Reading)  on How to Build an A by Sara Midda, I knew I would want that book right away! Let's just say that Franki did a terrific job writing about this book so you can check her posting right here. After reading this great ABC book, I found two more books that I would love to share with you. 

The first one is called A is for Artist-An Alphabet Photography by Ella Doran. I received this book as a Christmas present from my friend and teaching partner Michelle. Let's just say I fell in love with this book right away. The photograph in each page is stunning and the colors are vibrant. Each letter is represented by at least three words with matching illustrations.  For letter F for example has three words: felt, field, flowers, and the part of the illustrations is the word "flowers" spelled using felt as the main material. For the letter W is Woods with hidden illustrations among the "woods." I can picture my students' surprise faces with each page turning. 

A is for Artist You can find this book here. I know that my friend bought it at the Wexner Center Store at http://store.wexnercenterstore.com  which is a wonderful organization to support.

Another great book I found at the Columbus Library today is A is for Art An Abstract Alphabet by Stephen T. Johnson. Although this is an ABC book, I will definitely use it with an older audience (10 years and up), for more artistic reasons in mind or to teach alliterations.  Stephen Johnson's work is brilliant, each letter is captured through words, objects and ideas. Some letters are playing hide and seek, in which you the reader needs to find them hidden among the huge illustrations!  Stephen T. Johnson is also the author of a Caldecott Honor book for Alphabet City

A Is for Art: An Abstract AlphabetAlphabet City


2 comments:

Franki said...

A is for Artist looks great! Can't wait to check it out!

Karen said...

I love these ABC book recommendations -- I may have to add to my collection!