Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thinking Caldecott...


This is the time of the year when a lot of us (book lovers) try to get our hands into some of the books that are up and running for Caldecott or Newberry Awards.  It is, in my opinion, an exciting time of the year but also one when we are working very hard in"catching up" with the world of children's literature. There are  lots of good postings done on this topic by many great blogs. You can find them here, here, of course here, and here
Today I read one of the picture books mentioned in  A Fuse#8: Building Manhattan by Laura Vila and yes, there are many reasons this book is a "possible" one: an artist who invites us readers to look at illustrations from different perspectives and angles makes  it a strong candidate for a Caldecott. Some of my favorite illustrations include "looking up" at the skyscrapers in New York, looking at the city from "the top" and feeling like I am "driving" on the highway on my way to the island. 
I will also like to mention that I LOVE books with time lines. Laura Vila included a time line of the building of Manhattan with a short description and their matching illustration. A job well done!

Building Manhattan

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm going to try and get my hands on a few of these as well to check them out! My bet is the award goes to Robie Harris, with "The Day Leo Said I Hate Your" or "Wabi Sabi" by Mark Reibstein.