Sunday, July 26, 2009

Recycle This Book!



Recycle This Book

Recycle This Book 100 Top Children's Book Authors Tell You How to Go Green Edited by Dan Gutman is one of those great findings that you can't put down! I am so excited I got my hands on this little treasure. There are many great picture books like this one that discuss important topics about recycling, protecting our Planet, saving the environment, but what I really really really LOVE about this one is that it is a collection of short essays written by PHENOMENAL children's authors! Picture this: an afternoon hanging out and talking about the little and realistic things we can do to help our planet in the company of...

Seymour Simon
Jane Yolen
Ralph Fletcher
Gail Gibbons
Shannon Hale
Andrew Clements
Ann Brashares
Linda Sue Park
Rosemary Wells
Jerry Spinelli
Sara Pennypacker
Jeanne DuPrau
Joseph Bruchac

and so many other AMAZING authors! This book is divided in four parts so that it shows you what you can do to help the environment in different places: your home, your school, your community, your world. As I am reading each essay I realize how simple, realistic, doable things are their suggestions. The essays are written in such a comprehensible, easy to follow kind of way, definitely written having children in mind as their main audience. I can see how I can use this book with either my 2nd grade ESL students as well as with my 5th grade ESL students. I enjoy thinking of the different possibilities and the potential this book offers: reading aloud with my students one author each day, summarizing our learning with one or two sentences, having a bank of practical ideas accumulated by the end of the book, creating a mural of our learning as we read them! The possibilities are endless, I honestly can't wait to share this with my students! They will love it!

No comments: