This 4th of July weekend, it was Alvin Ho's weekend. I read Alvin Ho Allergic to Girls, school, and other scary things and Alvin Ho Allergic to camping, hiking and other natural disasters by Lenore Look. And because I am writing about Alvin Ho, it only makes sense that I write a list of why I enjoyed his company and stories this weekend...
1. He is a big fan of Henry David Thoreau
2. He has all kinds of phobias and is "not afraid" of sharing them in public.
3. He always says things like "in account of..."
4. His heart melts when his dad calls him "son"
5. He believes that crying is great because you feel better afterwards
6. His parents are so understanding and supportive
7. Alvin Ho is terrified of all kinds of adventures but his life is all about adventures
8. Alvin's little sister Anibelly finds tremendous joy in digging holes
9. Alvin enjoys History!
10. Alvin's best friend at school is a girl, who is energetic, fun and optimistic
11. There is a very scary glossary included in the back
12. Alvin's loves making lists (and they include some doodling as well).
I was also happily surprised to see that both of Alvin's books are now available in an audio format. I love when a book is available on AUDIO CD because my ELLs benefit so much from listening and following the story along at their own pace. Not only the ELLs students are learning correct pronunciation and intonation when listening to books on tape, but they are also learning and understanding so much more when they don't have to worry about pronouncing or decoding each word, but just listening to the book for enjoyment. That's when comprehension happens. :)
I can't wait to share these books with my students. I think they are going to enjoy Alvin's trouble and honesty so much. Plus, HOORAY for another book with great boys characters!