Sunday, June 8, 2008

 48 Hour Book Challenge Greetings from Nowhere (Frances Foster Books)A couple of tissues and cups of coffee later and I finished Greetings from Nowhere by Barbara O'Connor.  From a conversation earlier on with my new Columbus Bloggers friends over breakfast, I knew from the very beginning that this book was fantastic, I guess I had no idea how seriously great this book would be. So, picture this...four people but they are really not connected to each other (yet), a motel, and the Great Smoky Mountains as the witness of the  interactions and friendship that unexpectedly unfolds in the story. 
Four strong characters, four people you get to know and love, four lives, add it all up and you got Greetings from Nowhere.  
Here are some of my favorite lines from the book...
"You can fool a person. You can fool a dog. You can fool a cat or a horse or a teacher or a friend. But you cannot ever fool a heart." (page 14).

"She began to whisper her mother's name over and over inside her head. Dorothy. Dorothy. Dorothy. She liked saying it so much, she decided she would say it a lot." (page 11).

Barbara O'Connor has a way to describe the character so that you feel like you truly know each individual so well. And I don't mean describing a character physically but emotionally. WOW. A round of applause to a job well done. Can't wait to read this book next year with my 5th grade book club!

No comments: