Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day- A Tribute Poem to our Heroes

There are many heroes in our lives, the ones that wake up every morning and despite the struggles in life, they get up, dust themselves off, and try again. There are the kind of heroes that like my students, move from another country, learn a new language, a new culture and try to learn something new everyday. And then we have the heroes that we will be remembering this weekend, the ones whose lives put behind for our country, for our flag, for our nation. That is why, My World/ Mi Mundo would like to acknowledge those heroes through this poem called When I 'm Gone by Mrs. Lyman Hancock.

When I'm Gone
by Mrs. Lyman Hancock


When I come to the end of the journey
and I travel my last weary mile
Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned
And remember only the smile.

Forget unkind words I have spoken;
Remember some good I have done.
Forget that I ever had heartache
And remember I've had loads of fun.

The rest of the poem is just beautiful, a must read. Please click here to read the rest of this inspiring poem. And don't forget to visit Susan Writes where she is hosting our Poetry Friday! Have a great weekend everyone!



1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Some of my most recent heroes are our ELLs who were brave enough (and their parents to let them) to go to overnight camp and try new things like sleeping in a cabin away from home, fishing, archery, and "surviving" in the Ohio "wilderness."