Saturday, March 22, 2014

Slice of Life Day 22: Firefly July

First day of Spring Break and I'm in love. Having the time to read my pile of books is just one of the things that make me so happy and grateful. The weather is not great but the coffee's great flavor makes up for it. I thought a poetry book will be the perfect book for my 1st Spring Break reading.

My choice: Firefly July A Year of Short Poems selected by Paul B. Janeczko and illustrated by Melissa Sweet. I'm in love with every page of this book. Not only the illustrations are amazing (but I knew that before opening this book! Come on, it's Melissa Sweet!) but the selection of poems were perfect. This book takes us through the four seasons and all our best poetry friends are found in one place, one location, one book. I love the fact that The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams is included because it's such a great classic. But I love it even more when I see Ralph Fletcher's poem: Water Lily also made the cut. I'm a fan of his work, his philosophy in teaching and of course, his writing. 
The poem Firefly July by J. Patrick Lewis makes you anxious for those glorious summer nights. 
The book is so gorgeous and I can picture a child's hand running through the pictures as they try to make sense of the words in the book. What a beautiful gift to us poetry lovers!
Happy Saturday of Celebrations and Books. What are you reading that you feel grateful for?

1 comment:

Linda B said...

My copy came last week, but I haven't touched it yet, Stella. Happy to hear that others like it. When I saw the main people, I couldn't resist!