Saturday, March 29, 2014

Slice of Life Day 29: Sharing my Books for the Soul Challenge

One of new things I'm trying this year as a reader is to become more intentional about reading for my soul. Let me explain. I LOVE reading professional books. I honestly can say that I enjoy learning from others and in our field of education, there are a lot of great thinking and learning! I also LOVE reading children's literature. I love finding great books for the kids and being able to match my young readers with their book of interest. Now, having said that, I have not make time for any other kind of reading genres until the summer comes and then I stretch and expand my choices. However, I feel that as a person who is always looking to live a more balanced life, I need more than my summer reading. So I made a commitment to myself as a reader that I'll choose ONE book per month that has nothing do with teaching and all to do with my own personal growth. I like to call these kinds of books: books for the soul.
In January I read the Law of Divine Compensation by Mariane Williamson. I don't have enough words to describe this book. It helped me understand so many things from understanding what we ask for, letting go of fear, trusting and overcoming obstacles. I read it slowly (as in it took me a while to finish) because there is a lot to process. This is another reason why choosing just one book for the soul per month allows me to dig really deep into subjects that matter to me.

In February, I read Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World. I felt like I had a person who understood me as I read this book. The author and her family lived overseas for several years and then when they came back to the United States, they came back with a different perspective and outlook in life. They came back changed. Changes are a blessing but also a struggle especially if you feel like you are running against the current. I felt understood when I read this book and also optimistic as people like myself who travel a lot is always looking for understanding and remaining curious yet balanced. 


For March, my book of choice was The Big Picture by Tony Horton. Some of you know that I completed the P90X challenge for the 1st time!!! I was really excited because I have started the program so many times and never crossed the finish line until now. I got to say  I admire Tony Horton because he truly understands fitness in a way that few people do. His understandings of how our body and  muscles work lead him to create a fitness program that is amazing and produces results. I'm not just talking losing weight but becoming strong. In this book, Tony goes over his 11 rules that apply not only to fitness but to life in general. These are his philosophies and the "why" behind what he does. I've learned so much about him and as much as I hated him while I was doing some of these intense workout, I got to say: the man knows and understands. 

I feel like my Monthly Book for the Soul is helping me stay grounded and balanced. I'm not waiting until the summer to do all these readings. Honestly I never had the time to apply what I've learned because I was absorbing too much in such a short time. I feel optimistic about my goal as a reader for this year. I already feel great because I'm processing things slowly and let it sit with me for a while before I attempt changes or challenges. What about you? What are some of the challenges you face as a reader? What are you actions plans? Again, all it matters is the journey. That's what lead us to growth. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea of books for the soul! I am famous for purchasing these books but not reading them. I should try this to bring more balance into my reading life.

Melanie Unger said...

I love the idea of how you term your personal growth books, "Books for the Soul." I like how you set aside the opportunity for one book a month just for YOU. That is a very good goal. Thanks for sharing!

Carol said...

I love the idea of books for the soul. Blue Bike sounds like one I really want to read. I am giving myself a similar challenge with Christian books. Just finished ONE THOUSAND GIFTS by Ann Voskamp. It's from a Christian point of view, I really enjoyed it.