Thursday, March 27, 2014

Slice of Life Day 27: Marvelous Picture books!

I've been a Maira Kalman fan for a while now. I just love her style as an artist. Now, she is combining history, her beautiful art work and unique writing styles to write amazing books for children. Her book Looking at Lincoln was one I loved and used it quite frequently in the classroom as a mentor text. She does a great job engaging the audience through her writings and I want my students to explore all kinds of styles.
Her latest book is entitled Thomas Jefferson Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything. Maira has a way to combine fun facts with serious facts in a way that entertains and engages at the same time like..."His favorite vegetable was PEAS. Peas are really wonderful and fun to count." or here's another great example: " As Jefferson got older, he spent more time outdoors. He no longer cared for Fancy Clothes. His torn jacked was repaired with socks."
So much of Jefferson's life is shared in authentic and engaging ways. I can see my students being totally fascinated with this book just because of the way she writes. Maira always include a Note section on the back of the book where other historical moments or figures are further explained.
I hope Maira continues writing more books like this. It's such a fun way to engage in history, art and writing all at the same time.


It was a wonderful morning of picture books, of Maira Kalman's art and always a good cup of coffee for extra company. 

3 comments:

Holly Mueller said...

I like her books, too! Your stack of books and cup of coffee look delightful! :-)

Sally said...

As a graduate of the University of Virginia, I am a BIG Thomas Jefferson fan!!! Thanks for the book review. I plan to read it. AND cheer for the VA Cavalier's b-ball team tomorrow night. Go Hoos! Make TJ proud!!

Linda B said...

I recently read the book about Jefferson and his libraries, very good, & now this one too! Must find it. Would be fun to study him with students, and compare those two books, and others, wouldn't it? I love Kalman's work too, Food Rules, The Elements of Style, illustrated, and on. Thanks for sharing this one, Stella!